Converting a sewing pattern into usable MD pattern

Using the program for MD? Ask questions here.
Ruri_s

Converting a sewing pattern into usable MD pattern

Post by Ruri_s »

Hi all,
Some background; I''m just a hobbyist with little talent in sewing or art in general but works pretty well with technical stuff.
My overall goal is take designs found online and convert it into MD pattern, sew it, texture it and then convert it to Daz3d for actual rendering. This could be way too difficult to achieve, but that's not really an issue, as I treat this as a method to generate questions and hopefully answers as well.

This is just a general plan and probably will have major improvement:
1. I found this piece of 2d template for a cosplay dress. Now I know that there are lots of questions in the template, like what measurement is it made for? Are all the pieces in correct ratio?
2. I should select the 'closest' piece of pre-made pattern in PMP. Download it for MD avatar.
3. Draw the pattern in MD.
4. Modify the pattern in MD so that it 'matches' the cosplay pattern.
i) need to learn how to cut from a huge piece into smaller individual size
5. Join/sew pieces in MD.
6. Learn how to edit pieces in MD for proper fit.

Rinse and repeat for more difficult section (i.e puffy sleeves).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fearless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Converting a sewing pattern into usable MD pattern

Post by fearless »

That's a good plan and should work just fine. Create Internal Lines everywhere you need to cut the pattern and then right-click Cut.

Good luck!

Ruri_s

Post by Ruri_s »

Hi,
Still practicing how to 'cut'. Please comment if my understanding is correct (prob not).
a) scenario1; I practice on a square polygon, click on internal line and just select 4 points within the polygon, then MD will auto create an 'outline' which I can then drag away, and its an 'actual piece' which I can assign texture and stuff
b) scenario 2; I practice on a square polygon, click on internal line and just select 2 points within the polygon (a line), then hit enter. The line stays on the polygon. I repeat these multiple times, until it create a shape. However, this time, MD does not auto create an 'outline'' of the shape. Is it correct to say that, if I do not draw a shape in a single 'flow', then MD does not recognize it as a shape?

Ruri_s

Post by Ruri_s »

My workflow for cutting the polygon. I might be over complicating stuff, need some review here.
1. Polygon tool:Draw and adjust the bodice as downloaded from PNG.
2. Internal line tool: Draw the pattern as per the cosplay jpeg. I notice one thing, I cannot 'mix and match' polygon line and internal line. I have to redraw back the 'outer' polygon line to make it work.
3. Trace tool: Click on the individual line as per my screenshot, in order,1, 2, 3....until I get a smaller pattern. Right click, convert to pattern.
4. Repeat until all smaller pattern are 'cut' and converted to pattern.
5. Sew the pieces together.
6. Note: As you can see on the screenshot below. I draw the main polygon without cutting out the darts first as that create a super complicated situation for me. Then I draw both the darts and the cosplay pattern on top of each other. Then I just kind of 'jigsaw puzzle' it and recombine the pieces. Are there other method to do it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fearless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fearless »

Looks like you've got a handle on it. If you want to eliminate the darts but still maintain the fit, create two separate patterns. This makes princess seams like in this image. I've shown you the original pattern and then the cut one. These are very rough cuts, you'd want to do some smoothing. This just illustrates the process.

Then you can perform your other cuts from there.